[the_ad id="4949"]

The Ekiti State Governorship Election Tribunal sitting in Abuja today, adjourned till January 9, 2019, with the 3rd Respondent, Governor Kayode Fayemi closing his case abruptly without calling any other witness apart from the four called on Monday.

Fayemi had listed 926 witnesses to be called to give evidence in his favour. He was also expected to give evidence at the tribunal today, but failed to show up, thus reinforcing the belief that he had no defence in response to the plethora of allegations and legal jabs in the petition.

It will be recalled that Fayemi was at the tribunal on Monday morning with the hope to create effect with his show of readiness to testify on how he won the election freely and fairly.

However, rather than entering the witness box to testify on Monday as expected, his counsel took an adjournment till 3pm. Fayemi, who left immediately after the sitting was adjourned did not show up at 3pm.

Today, the 3rd Respondent (Fayemi) brought another set of witnesses but none of the witnesses were called.

Instead of calling the witnesses that were already in court, Fayemi’s counsel announced that he was closing his case and the tribunal subsequently adjourned till January 9, 2019 for adoption of address by respective parties.

It should be recalled that three witnesses called on Monday by Fayemi’s Counsel admitted that total vote cast was more than total accredited voters in the various units where they acted as APC party agents.

Ajayi Taiwo Michael and Adeleye Mathew from Ekiti East Local Government as well as Mr. Ogunleye Sesan from Gbonyin Local Government admitted during cross-examination by Counsel to petitioners were made to read out the names ticked on the Voters Register and the voters accredited did not tally with the votes declared.

The witness were given the voters register of their various units, which they counted aloud but did not tally with the results, bringing to the fore the manifestly perpetrated irregularities in the election.

Sunday Adumo Rufus, the Deputy Director General of Kayode Fayemi Campaign Organisation, who was the first witness called had said he witnessed the election and that it was free, fair and credible.

He however capitulated during cross-examination. At one breath, he said he went to vote while he later said he stayed glued at the situation room during the election receiving reports from units, Wards and Local Governments and therefore could not give personal account of the events that took place on that day but based his reports on information gathered.

 956 total views,  5 views today

By Roving

Leave a Reply